Rod Dreher is despairing:
The depressing truth, as it seems to me this afternoon:
1. If Trump becomes the GOP nominee, it will mean chaos and violence. Same as if he becomes president. He generates an atmosphere of thuggishness.
2. If the Social Justice Warriors prevail in shutting down Trump rallies, it will mean chaos and violence. It is chaos and violence. They are thugs, even if they are praised by the media.
3. I want Trump to beat the SJWs at their game. They are making America ungovernable.
4. But it is not sufficient to cheer Trump for opposing these idiots. Whatever my heart says in the moment, my head tells me that I don’t want Trump to win, because I don’t think he has any plan to govern America, and his provocative attitude would help make America ungovernable.
5. I don’t want the Republican Party to beat Trump, because it will mean the same old same old.
6. I don’t want the Democrats to win, because the Court, and because they will empower SJWs even more, and marginalize cultural conservatives even further.
7. There is no way everybody can lose.
8. Whatever happens, the next four years in our country are going to be miserable.
But… On the bright side:
A lot of people will lose their illusions about politics being able to actually accomplish anything truly worthwhile in our times, when whoever is elected or thwarted being elected by the Establishment means their political hopes and dreams are dashed.
As they become thus ‘dis-illusioned’ (in the truest sense of that word, which is actually a positive thing, to lose one’s illusions), they will rightly ask, “What’s the point in voting?”, and quit doing so – unless someone can give them a reason to do so.
They will stop the farce of propping up the two-headed hydra ruling machine, by withdrawing their consent.
Democracy will become increasingly more of a sham (yes, even more than now), as less and less people vote.
And more people will join the reactionary camp, on the right side; and more prog Millennials will join the socialist side of the likes of Bernie Sanders.
The stupid moderates on both sides – the neocons and the warmongering Hillary Clinton neolibs – will be squeezed, and hopefully shrink.
The Antithesis will become clearer and clearer, as time progresses.
Bring it on!