HL has used QuipLinks for a while in the style of annotated version of the late, lamented Ferd’s “LIGFY” posts over at InMalaFide. I started reading the manosphere in 2009, and have been saving pithy quotes for a while, usually with links to the original thought. I call these items “Aphorisms of the Manosphere,” and they capture in one or two lines an essential nugget of masculine wisdom. I invite all readers to leave their own Aphorisms below, and I will add them to the collection, where pithy and insightful enough.
Many of the Aphorisms originate with the Dark Lord, Roissy/Heartiste. I have not linked back any of the Maxims, all of which originate with him. I have assigned categories to other links..
Men have always been the leading thinkers; this is due to the wider spread on the Bell Curve, which leaves more male geniuses than female geniuses out of the same population. (If you’re nature, you don’t play games with the sex primarily responsible for the care of the next generation.) Men as a sex pay for this higher rate of genius that causes the effect of the “glass ceiling” by the invisible “glass floor” that all of society stands upon: that very large mass of men where nature’s genetic experiments have left behind the mentally defective, the morally retarded. Some Philosophical quotes picked up in reading:
- All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. Arthur Schopenhauer
- “The wise man is never busy, and the busy man is never wise.” Lin Yutang
- The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything. Nietzsche
- The graveyards are full of indispensable men. Georges Pompidou
- “The free man creates himself.” Goethe
- “”I have done that,” says my memory. “I cannot have done that” — says my pride, and remains adamant. At last — memory yields.” Nietzsche, describing the hamster
- Civilization is a compact that each sex will agree not to use its most effective weapon in the battle of the sexes: men abjure the use of force, and women will not use their youth and beauty to get their ways. All major religions understood this, restraining feminine beauty under modest dress in exchange for male passiveness. Slutwalks are the herald of the return of male violence to the societies in which we live. (My summary of a few arguments)
On Male Nature
- I am not a guy, a dude, or a boy. I am a man. I will refer to myself as such and demand others do the same. Solomon II
- “I love to see them squirm.” 15yo Bobby Fisher’s answer when asked why he loved chess.
- When “Leadership” is challenged, Logic can be used to defend the decisions. When “Authority” is challenged, Logic has little place in defending. You must assert and hold to your precepts, enforcing them at whatever cost is necessary. Looking Glass
- Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. H. L. Mencken
- Men prefer to improve themselves by focusing on strengths, women by fixing the areas where they are weak. By urging women to take on many more responsibilities than they did in the past, feminism gave women more areas to be weak, and this has helped lead to the decline of female happiness over the past 40 years.
- “When a man has not had a good father, he must create one.” Nietzsche
- I was made more disappointed by my success with women than by my failures. (Read somewhere, commenting on the disappointment that women were not, in fact, special snowflakes, and that his success had led to disillusionment and depedestalization.)
- Maxim #7: Your girl will thank you for your steadfast devotion to your belief in yourself.
- The most powerful word in a man’s vocabulary is “no”. Learn how to say no to a woman without hesitation, reservation, or explanation. Solomon II
In the time of Democracy in Athens, things worked pretty well, but then democracy, which means rule by the Deme, one of the tribes of Athens, expressly did NOT mean rule by any women. A few quotes on politics:
- Marxism is “the opiate of the intellectuals” French journalist Raymond Aron
- “Power is the ultimate aphrodisiac.” Henry Kissinger
- Feminism: women gained power, and lost influence.
- “If you can’t eat their food, drink their booze, screw their women, and then be prepared to wake up in the morning and vote against them, son, you don’t belong in politics.” Jesse Marvin Unruh, California Assembly Speaker
This is the defining characteristic of female sexuality. It’s not slur, it’s not sin, it’s how women ARE. Ignore it as you will, but as Ayn Rand wrote: “You may attempt to avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.” Just so with men who will not address and understand how the female reproductive imperative drives the feminine nature. Some quotes:
- Women are not naturally polygamous, they are naturally hypergamous. Like Oscar Wilde, they are always satisfied with the best.
- “The feminist triumph has deprived women of an essential element of their erotic lives. By raising women’s status and emphasizing “equality,” feminism has performed the psychological equivalent of a clitoridectomy on our society’s women. Rather than objects of lust and passion, they are now competitors, rivals and colleagues — their erotic capital is significantly diminished.” Bill Price
- “Women get more of what they sleep with, and less of what they friend-zone. Then they complain about ending up with what they slept with, instead of what they friend-zoned.” Retrenched
- Of the seven deadly sins, lust is most often paired with gluttony. Both reveal an inability to control appetites. (From an article linking promiscuity and obesity, talking about the Carousel-riding of the obese)
- “Dads who vamoose make girls who are loose.” Roissy
- Maxim #51: For most women, five minutes of alpha is worth five years of beta.
- A key that opens many locks is a master key. A lock that can be opened by many keys is a weak lock.
Not specifically about hypergamy, this includes observations on women in general. Some choice quotes:
- Women can keep a secret just as well as men but it takes more of them to do it. Sacha Guitry
- “Roughly speaking, a woman’s tendency to flake is proportional to her options and inversely proportional to her age.” John Ross
- “Women stay with the status quo, even if the status quo is bad for them.” The Fifth Horseman.
- A misogynist is a man who views women the way women do.
- “Never argue with a woman. They’ll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.” Zed, substituting “woman” for “fool.”
- Maxim #54: When a woman has incentive to lie, she will choose lying over honesty EVERY SINGLE TIME.
- Maxim #25: NO girl wants to be thought she isn’t a special little snowflake.
- Maxim #11: Calling a girl out on her lie accomplishes nothing.
- Having an internal filter is the hallmark of anyone with good character, especially a woman. A woman who speaks her mind is simply too lazy emotionally to check herself before uttering something hateful or rude. The Private Man
Many’s the man who has complained about this toxic outgrowth of Cultural Marxism. I have surprisingly few quotes here:
- “When you can’t be beautiful, be difficult: Feminism is where penis envy meets cargo-cultism.” J
- If liberation for women meant liberation from accountability to men, liberation for men mean(s) liberation from responsibility to women… these are two sides of the same coin. Brendan/Novaseeker
- Feminism is a great way for Alpha males to control Beta males by proxy. Solomon II
- The mixture of feminism and pedestalization … has produced the mess in America.… It may be the rejection of Mary in the American Christianity (so the eternal feminine is embodied in actual women instead of a religious figure). But the reverence that American men put on American women is the (reason) feminism has been so harmful. Imnobody
- Maxim #28: The more experience you have with women, the more you’ll know which women have experience with men
- Maxim #49: The rare older woman-younger man pairing is like a lab experiment gone wrong. It violates the natural order of things, and leaves its practitioners emotionally twisted and in a constant mental race to hyper-rationalize their sub-par mate choice.
- Maxim #45: Women will screech louder the closer your words get to damaging or exposing vulnerabilities in their sexual market value.
- Maxim #32: Commanding women to do your bidding will give you a bigger beta margin of error when needed.
- Maxim #19: Withholding sex is the tactic of a woman who has already lost. It is mutually assured destruction.
- Women are the guardians of access to sex; men are the guardians of access to commitment. There is no sex unless she says yes, and no marriage unless he asks.
Relationship Advice from Women
I added this one-quote category for its stunning hamster effect. For those of you who wondered why Roissy went down in late 2009 for a few days, gaze upon the creature who wreaked havoc on all our lives:
- “Powerful and quality men take women on dates, adore her, make her the center of the universe, and puts in his time proving he truly likes her in a genuine way before he he even thinks about pawing her up… Only women with serious emotional and psychological issues want to be treated like a dog, told what to do, insulted, or treated as anything less then (sic) a princess.” Lady Raine, single-mom exposer of Roissy, on how “men” can be “successful” in relationships.
The big kahuna of relationships. A life-destroying potential minefield for men. STILL the best way for a Patriarch to proceed, but do so with great caution:
- You do not owe a traditional wedding to any woman who cannot offer you a traditional honeymoon. Solomon II (I think this is the ultimate aphorism of the Christian Manosphere)
- The problem with Christian marriage as portrayed in the movie Fireproof is that “marriage is about love, not vows, and it is the sole job of the husband to keep his wife haaaapy.” Dalrock
- Women want to GET married; they don’t want to BE married.
- Maxim #50: Marriage is no escape from the sexual market and the possibility that you may be outbid by a competitor with higher value.
- Maxim #22: You have to make marriage an attractive alternative for MEN — not women — if you want the institution to thrive.
- Marriage available today is a sick, powerless, emasculating hoax specifically designed to destroy men (and therefore society). When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty. Samuel Solomon
- (A cheating wife) needs a man who can stand up even to her, because if her man cannot stand up to a woman who is clearly in the wrong, how could she trust him to stand up to bigger threats? Brent
- You cannot turn a whore into a housewife. Anonymous Guest
The only reason to GET married in the current environment. Some choice quotes:
- (A)ny woman who couldn’t get around to prioritizing children until she’s too old for them is probably better off not procreating. … I’m glad that she doesn’t have kids to screw up. Kai
- “(It’s) Easier to start a career at 40 than to attempt to start a family at that age.” Uncle Elmer.
- “The future belongs to those who show up for it.” (Commenting on the low-childbirth rate of feminists)
- “It remains to be seen which program will cause greater societal damage: China’s one-child policy or America’s one-parent policy.” PJ O’Rourke
The tragedy that enfolds so many of America’s men and children (and women, too; they often don’t know how bad the effects will be.). My wake-up call was reading Stephen Baskerville’s book that details the “work” of the moral monster Robert Williams. Read, and weep:
- “(There was) a long term study of children born in the 1920′s in the US, the Longevity study. One fact stood out starkly: ‘divorced parents’ was a very strong indicator of shorter lifespan in children. (I)f there was a disease, viral or bacterial, that did to children what divorce &/or single parenthood does, an entire month would be set aside to raise money to find a cure.” Anonymous Reader
- When a man steals your wife, there is no better revenge than to let him keep her. Sacha Guitry
- “The bachelor is a selfish, undeserving guy who has cheated some woman out of a divorce.” Noted by JJ
Many men, divorced or simply deprived of the pleasures of wife and family by the culture of divorce and unrestrained hypergamy, are angry and seeking justice because of the nature of divorce. I have a small category called payback that outlines some of these thoughts:
- If I didn’t have the kitten, I don’t want the cat. Revered Wisdom
- I will sail the boat of my old age on a sea of spinster tears. – Jack
- The catcall or wolf whistle is the lower-status man’s defensive weapon against attractive, unattainable women’s assault of flaunting their sexual goods in the men’s faces. Giovanni Dannato, “Provocative Female Attire is an Assault Against Men”
Men, with a larger number of geniuses, also have a larger number of simply FUNNY people amongst them, as humor is correlated with intelligence. Some classic examples:
- “I never got around to nailing a volleyball player, but any babe with long legs who has multiple sets of knee pads can’t be all that bad.” EvilAlpha
- “Confucius say: Never date woman who already know divorce lawyer.” Arch
- “You don’t pay a prostitute for sex; you pay her to leave afterward.” Donald Trump
- “This blog frequently gets lady commenters proclaiming to the high heavens that they would never date an asshole. After a leetle prying, it is usually revealed that these howling anti-game termagants are north of the Matron-Vixen line.” Roissy/Heartiste
- “If I’m not fucking you now, fucking you soon, or using you to fuck other girls, you’re useless to me” Squared.
- “I cannot use your abuse. You may have it back.” Jack Kerouac
- Advice to Feminists: Quit trying to tie the MRM to psychotic mass murderers…The fact that a couple of crazed killers said they didn’t like feminists only proves that being crazy doesn’t necessarily make you stupid. Paul Elam
- A London trader on the economic crisis of 2008: “It’s worse than a divorce. I have lost 50% of my assets and I still have my wife!”
- “You cannot have ‘happiness’ without ‘penis.’ Anonymous
- (On the origins of Beta in men) “Maybe he’s born with it; maybe it’s Betalline.” Professor Mentu
- I hate every bone in her body, but mine. Legendary Country Music title
I look forward to readers’ Aphorisms derived from reading the most fertile intellectual environment, the manosphere.